A romance novelist was convicted of killing her husband after months of quietly plotting the perfect crime.
Nancy Brophy, 71, was convicted of second-degree murder for shooting her husband, Daniel Brophy, in his workplace, where there would be no cameras or witnesses. She is scheduled to be sentenced June 13.
In 2011, Ms. Brophy speculated about various methods of murder, supposing that knives were too personal, poison was too traceable and hitmen were too untrustworthy.
Ms. Brophy bought a ghost gun kit and a handgun, and then an extra slide and barrel on eBay. She said she was writing a story about a woman who gradually acquired gun parts to turn the tables on an abusive partner.
On the morning of June 2, 2018, Mr. Brophy had gone to the Oregon Culinary Institute to teach classes when he was shot and killed. His wife said she had no memory of driving her minivan around the time of the killing.
The prosecution argued that only Nancy Brophy could have committed the crime, and that the defense’s case was based on “suspicion” and “conjecture”. The defense also argued that perhaps a homeless person in the neighborhood could have committed the killing.
Although friends and family members testified that the Brophys appeared to have a strong and collaborative relationship, prosecutors said Ms. Brophy had a financial incentive to kill her husband.
Prosecutors discussed the themes of Ms. Brophy’s “How to Murder Your Husband” blog post during questioning, and concluded by asking if she believed anyone could do it. Ms. Brophy said she believed anyone could do it.
Find out more about this mysterious story at the following news outlets:
- ‘How to Murder Your Husband’ author Nancy Crampton Brophy guilty of hubby’s murder New York Post
- ‘How to Murder Your Husband’ Writer Convicted of Murdering Husband The New York Times
- Jury finds romance novelist Nancy Brophy guilty of second-degree murder | Live stream KGW News
- Good Afternoon, News: Jury Finds Brophy Guilty, a Questionable Plan from DA Schmidt, and the Latest from the Tragedy in Texas The Portland Mercury
- ‘How to Murder Your Husband’ author Nancy Crampton Brophy found guilty in real-life Oregon murder Fox News
- View Full Coverage on Google News