Italian officials seized a $700 million luxury yacht with ties to the Russian government, and Russia moved troops to Mariupol ahead of the Victory Day parade.
The Italian finance ministry said the 459-foot yacht flew the Cayman Islands flag and had “prominent” links to Russians targeted under EU sanctions.
Italy’s financial police patrol boat is seen in front of the Putin yacht Scheherazade, which was banned from leaving the port by a decree passed by the Italian Finance Minister.
The Ukrainian president called on Italy to block the assets of murderers in a March address to the parliament.
Ukraine has pressed the international community to impose harsher sanctions on Russia. Several nations have already made moves to cut oil ties with Russia.
Read more on this topic at the following additional news sources:
- Putin’s alleged $700M superyacht seized in Italy Fox Business
- Italy impounds $700-million Scheherazade megayacht linked to Putin The Washington Post
- Italy Freezes Giant Yacht Thought to Belong to Vladimir Putin , The Daily Beast
- $700M superyacht linked to Putin seized by Italy . New York Post
- Italy freezes superyacht reportedly linked to Russian President Vladimir Putin CNBC
- View Full Coverage on Google News